Pages

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Interview with Kahlil Irving

Recent high school graduate Kahlil Irving has spent 3 years as part of our Crafting-A-Future program at Craft Alliance. He will be attending Kansas City Art Institute this fall with a full ride scholarship. We are so proud of his accomplishments!

How did you get involved in Crafting-A-Future?
Well, I got involved in Crafting-A-future when Leslie Silverstein came to my high school to put up a mural the students created in some of the upper-level art classes. I was told to apply and then on I have been participating in the program.

What do you love the most about working with clay?
Working with clay is like anything else I have come in contact with, something I need to evaluate and become comfortable with. I have realized through practice I can become better or more knowledgeable about something and clay is amazingly responsive to my practice to the amount of time I have put into learning about it. The response and results that I get are the reasons why I enjoying working with the material.

Where do you go for inspiration?
Inspiration comes from what I see around me. It comes from what I see and feel everyday. My past and the world's past are my biggest influences. Like ancient ceramics from Asia, the studio artists in the Craft Alliance clay studio, and artists/potters that I meet.

What was the best part of being in the Crafting-A-Future program?
The best part of participating in Crafting-A-Future is all of the opportunities I have gotten. The pot sales, volunteering, meeting many different people, all contribute to the great experience I have had.

Do you have any advice for any up and coming Artists?
My advice isnt just to young artists, its to anyone and everyone that will listen and try to understand it. The world we live in is larger than we know. Deep mental and emotional realms exist. If there is anything anyone can do is see all that they can see and try to make the best of every oppurtunity they get to do whats best for themselves and others. Follow your heart and reason with your mind, life will all unfold.

No comments:

Post a Comment